What Is the Research Design Workshop?
(Students admitted in 2013 - 2016)
The purpose of the Research Design Workshop is for students to envision themselves at the time completion of the doctoral program and to clarify their potential as social design and management (SDM) professionals.* Students are to consider these matters by taking into consideration perspectives from different fields, areas, and standpoints.
1) Demonstrate the Capability to Complete the Doctoral Dissertation
- Students are required to present a research design and potential research results adequate to receive a doctoral dissertation in the field of specialization.
- In the case of an SDM topic, students must describe the research in a logical and concrete manner. In the case of another topic, students must describe the research in a logical and concrete manner and show how the doctoral research will contribute to solving a social problem and what issues need to be considered in the future.
2) Show Sufficient Overall Mastery to Be a GSDM PhD Holder
- Students are required to list the GSDM courses they have taken, and then explain in a logical manner the competencies that they have obtained with the aim of becoming an SDM professional.
*Social design and management (SDM) professionals are people who are able to identify social issues by applying specialized and broad-spectrum knowledge from a global perspective, and then go on to design integrative solutions by bringing together innovative technologies and public policy, and finally to collaborate with diverse stakeholders to realize the solutions. Technology alone cannot solve society’s problems; social context needs to be appreciated. Policies and systems alone also cannot solve social problems; policies and systems have to be designed and planned based on an understanding of advanced technologies.
Research Design Workshop
The Research Design Workshop is held at the end of the first year of the GSDM Program or the doctoral program (compulsory).
It is possible for the Research Design Workshop to be held during the second year of the doctoral program or later in the case of long-term overseas studies, etc.
What Are the Components of the Research Design Workshop?
- Presentation on research: 10 minutes
- Q&A: 20 minutes
What Does the Research Design Workshop Evaluate?
- Status of doctoral research (research design and research results)
- Ability to design solutions to a social problem as a GSDM PhD
- GSDM courses taken and competencies acquired (list to be submitted in advance)
Materials to Be Submitted in Advance
- Faculty, specially appointed program faculty, and others.
How Should I Prepare for the Research Design Workshop?
The following are strongly recommended.
Take time to prepare in advance how you will logically explain the SDM competencies you have acquired.
- Actively take a variety of courses in the Comprehensive Coursework, rather than simply taking courses to satisfy graduation requirements.
- Participate actively in various programs outside the Comprehensive Coursework, including the seminars and workshops.
- Initiate to ongoing discussions on your research with various parties, such as students, faculty, people from industry and governments, etc.
- Thorough discussions on your doctoral dissertation with your primary advisor, secondary advisor, and other related persons
- Discussions and follow-up activities on international projects, project-based learning (PBL), research internships, summer camps, etc.
- Ongoing discussions at the GSDM Interactive Evening Lounge